Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Little Help Here

A little help goes a long way, even for DIYers like myself. When going to big box stores-be it for parts, paint, or tools, I usually have questions and hope for the right guidance. I expect the same when I'm shopping for garden supplies and plants.
Given this, I was pleased to hear that in an effort to help Orange County Utilities get the water-conservation message to consumers, the Florida Nursery, Growers & Landscape Association (
FNGLA) is heading a training program for big-box garden center employees around the Orlando area during the month of June. The course is a modified version of Florida Certified Horticultural Professional and the Florida Yards & Neighborhoods program. Word is that more than 100 garden-center employees from area Home Depot and Lowes are signed up for the four sessions.

The curriculum will cover topics such as:
* Soil conditions
* Plant selection
* Efficient watering
* Mulching
* Fertilization
* Weed and pest control
* Maintenance


Kudos to FNGLA for reaching out with an initiative like this. And huzzah to HD and Lowe's for being receptive to this continuing education opportunity. This only can help open the lines of communication between the middle man and the end user. I shake my head when I see things like bottle or coconut palms on sale at box stores around my Central Florida neighborhood. A training program like this should be able to help prevent a lot of dead plants and frustrated customers.

FNGLA is planning to make this a model for a training program that could be utilized by other utilities companies across the state.

With this kind of much-needed and essential training, "You Can Do It, We Can Help" (I know it's HD's old slogan) never rang more true.

No comments:

Post a Comment