Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reclaiming The Yard

In these budget-crunching times, more people are spending time at home and in their yards. Outdoor living is a way of life in Florida and a well-planned "staycation" starts and ends in the yard. This a good thing for local garden centers, growers, and landscapers. Whether it's DIYers looking for plant and hardscape material or those with a larger budget looking for a professional to do the heavy lifting, there is opportunity.

As a homeowner and someone who covers the Florida nursery and lanscape industry for a living, I understand the value of a well-groomed landscape. Click here for more reasons to love landscaping.

Documented research certainly can help with the marketing of plant products and landscaping services in an environment where buyers are weighing the value of their investments more than ever.

My family and I enjoy doing things like hanging out, grilling, and playing in the yard. I'm sure I'd love it even more if it were a tropical oasis--but I do what I can, when I can. There's a budget and timeframe out there for everybody. BTW-Like most, mine is limited on both accounts.

But I digress. Indeed, there are some areas around my yard that I'd like to address. Case in point:

This mess is located along my back fence under the cover of a live oak tree. Overgrown with ferns, lilies, and other assorted items planted by the previous owner--not to mention all of the live oak seedlings that have sprouted up from the mother tree -- this part of my back yard is unusable. I'd like to reclaim this part of the yard by clearing it out and laying some sod to extend the main lawn and maybe carve out a planting bed around the base of the oak for contrast and to soften the fence area.

This has literally become no man's land. A little breathing room would be nice.

Instead of a space I can enjoy (let alone even get to), this area is a haven for snakes, a hangout for mosquitoes, and a hiding place for other creepie crawlies. Believe me, I've seen enough of all of them to know. It's going to be fun digging through this jungle.

Can anyone say hodge podge?

Yep. This is going to take some time. Got any ideas on what I can do with this space? Feel free to leave a comment. Feedback is welcome as I come up with a gameplan to try and tackle this project. Check back as I give updates as things progress. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.

1 comment:

  1. Paul,
    I can definitely help you with your "hodge podge"! You can visit my website at www.annamorgandesign.com for more ideas on creating a greener family garden.

    ReplyDelete